Freitag, 18. Juli 2014

Dialogue Hacking

I allocated the dialogue text data! At first I thougt it this data is compressed because the dialogue text isn't written in ASCII letters in the ROM. But fortunately they just coded it in a strange way. For example: The letter 'O' is coded as 0x4E and the letter 'P' is coded as 0x60. But since I found it this is no problem anymore :)
I kept playing around with the bytes that appear before the text data starts and found some cool things out: The text speed, color, the height as well as the x/y location of the textbox can be changed now!

As an example I edited the first dialogue when the game starts:


So after I knew how the text letters are coded I tried to find the data of the map names that appear when you enter a map. 
I found a list of pointers that lead to data that get's loaded when a map is entered. But this data doesn't only consist of the map name, it also seems to hold the addresses of the events (e.g. sprites) as well as the event's location on the map.

I played around with this a little:


Here I changed the location of the event "Seth" and the event "Lance". I call them events because the data that is addressed doesn't only contain the dialogue data but also the sprite appearance and everything else that belongs to it.
I need to dig further into this event data set. Then I will try to read this data in the editor and display it for every map.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen