Freitag, 4. Juli 2014

Map Data Sets

Lytron located and documented a data table in his blog: http://pantalytron.com/blog7.php/sympathy-for-the-manafreak-7
This table consists of data sets for all the game's maps (231 in total). Among other things these data sets contain the addresses of tilesets, palettes, music, map arrangement data and tileset data for each map.
I managed to read the data sets and list them in the editor. By the combination of the utilized tilesets and music I could identify some of the maps like the one shown here:


In the data sets there is still much data left with unknown purposes. I will try to identify this unknow data step by step.
A couple of days ago I had the assumption that the compressed map arrangement data uses the know LZSS compression. But unfortunately this is not the case, some other (yet unkown) compression has been used :((((
So for the next steps I will concentrate on the game's music data which is already documented in detail.

For the tilesets I made a little rearrangement this week. As I found out, Illusion of Gaia treats compressed tilesets which contain two single tilesets as one tileset. So I thought I should do it the same way to make things easier in the future.
The result is shown in the next two screenshots:



If a tileset contains more than one single tileset you can now switch between the tileset parts and edit both of them. The big difference is that they are still treated as one tileset internally.
I hope that I can upload a running version of the editor. I wasn't able to find the error yet that keeps the editor from running when I release it.



2 Kommentare:

  1. So, you did this big blog post! :)
    Which function is for the tilemap? I can take a look at the compression for you, but if you can tell me the number of the function it would make this a lot easier for me. :)

    No reaction from nocash so far. :/

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Function number 5 handles the map tileset data and number 6 handles the map arrangement data ;) It would be really great if you should find something :)

    AntwortenLöschen